Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Old English Pound Cake

As a child, growing up, every time a birthday came around I looked forward to going to Kelly's Bakery with my parents to order a cake. It didn't matter if it wasn't my birthday. All that mattered is that I would be getting a piece of cake. My parent's loved the Old English Pound Cake and I love sweets!

Although there was nothing light or fluffy about the cake, it was probably the best pound cake every created. It was firm. You could hold it in your hand like a piece of bread and didn't have to worry about it falling apart. I realized just how heavy it was when I decided I wanted to change up the usual family order. I wanted my birthday cake to have chocolate cake on the bottom and pound cake on the top. The baker said that I can have both, but I needed to have the pound cake on the bottom because if it goes on the top it would crush the chocolate and sink the entire cake. I understood and agreed. Wow! What a heavy cake I thought.

My Dad celebrated his birthday just a few weeks ago. Kelly's Bakery is no longer in existence, but the taste of those cakes still register in my family's taste buds. So I thought to myself, why not recreate "the cake". I don't know their recipe, but I am pretty good at tasting food and then recreating it. My cake is much smaller than Kelly's Bakery, but it was enough for five and for a fabulous Happy Birthday.





Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons of almond extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x9 inch pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment