Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cookie me kindly

A cookie is like an omelet, but I would say for some it would be a little easier to make because there is no need to flip a cookie. Think about it for a moment an omelet has a basic ingredient an egg, but then you can put just about anything you can think about in it. Now you may say well what if it doesn't taste good, but that's totally up to you. If you don't like tomatoes then don't think you're going to like it in an omelet.

Ok so the cookie has a basic ingredient, which is sugar. You may say well I thought cookies have flour, but I've had a very delicious cookie that was flourless. You may say cookies need butter or shortening, but that's not true either. There are some cookies that use oil or peanut butter. Then many of us make the traditional oatmeal and raisin cookie or the infamous chocolate chip cookies, but there are endless possibilities when it comes to the cookie. Be creative!

Just the other day my mother wanted some cookies. I am always baking something and now I believe she expects homemade dessert every day. Her favorite is my oatmeal and raisin cookies. I didn't have any oatmeal and I wasn't about to make just a raisin cookie. So what am I to do? I stood in the kitchen thinking about what I had in the pantry and what I liked. I took out pineapple juice, raisins and coconut flakes. I said to myself, coconut and pineapple works well together in a pina colada so why not in a cookie. I mixed the batter, added in the coconut and then I said why not some raisins for my mom and some white chocolate chips for myself. I liked it so much I decided to call it "Juicy Fruit". Why not? It has three different fruits in it.

Now what creative cookie can you come up with? Cookie me kindly!

Oatmeal and Raisin Cookies



2 1/4 cup        Flour
1 tsp               Baking Powder
1 tsp               Baking Soda
2 cups            Rolled Oats
1 cup             Coconut Flakes
1 cup             Raisins


1 cup             Butter
1 cup             Brown Sugar
1/2 cup          White Sugar
2                    Eggs
2 tsp              Vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 
In mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, rolled oats and coconut flakes. Set aside.
In another mixing bowl cream butter and sugars together with mixer on medium speed for two minutes. Mix in eggs one at a time and then mix in vanilla. Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients until cookie dough is fully combined. Mix in raisins. 
With 1 tsp cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough on to cookie sheet leaving about 1 1/2 inch between cookies. Bake for 13 minutes. Remove cookies from cookie sheet on to cooling rack. Allow to completely cool before serving. 







2 comments:

  1. Go girl go i love your cooking and baking but don't forget your delicious drinks. I won't tell if you won't tell. Thanks. Your best friend.

    ReplyDelete