Thursday, October 6, 2011

Truckin'

I've heard the saying for years, "When America sneezes the Bahamas catches a cold!" It's definitely true when it comes to our eating habits. You'd be surprise to know how many fast food restaurants are in Nassau, the capital city of The Bahamas. They're a number of Wendy's, Mc Donald's, KFC, Burger Kings, Domino Pizzas and countless Chinese take-aways, just to name a few.  You can visit a different one each day of the week. My grandmother called going out to buy fast food "truckin". Growing up we'd do a lot of "truckin" because my mother worked full-time. So we'd eat out almost every evening.

Now a days I don't care for fast food as much, but I do get the occasional cravings. Today was no exception. I just had to visit one of my favorite Chinese restaurants for fried rice and honey garlic chicken wings. As I was thoroughly enjoying my meal I began to think about the food I ate on my trip to China. I was amazed that there wasn't any pork fried rice, kingdom ribs or fortune cookies. Then the thought came to mind, "Does anyone really know what Chinese food is?" because the food I grew up eating and loving wasn't real Chinese food. That made me realize something else my grandmother said about "truckin". She said we should stop "truckin" and start eating "real food". Fast food to her wasn't real food. She preferred cooking and eating at home, and would always cook special dishes for us. Our favorite was her Peas Soup and Dumplings. I didn't want to accept it, but what she was saying was true. As years went by there were rumors that KFC didn't serve real chicken and Mc Donald's chicken nuggets were ground chicken feet. "Real food" I think not! I keep these things in mind when I encourage myself to eat "real food", home cooked food and stop "truckin". I give in to the temptation less as time goes by and I truly enjoy the creations that are manufactured in my kitchen. I encourage you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment