Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chapati... in The Bahamas?

I was first introduced to Chapati in Africa. I was out with some friends in Kigali, Rwanda when I tasted this simple yet delicious, flour tortilla like food. I asked what is was and a friend of mine said, "You don't know Chapati?" Chapati, I'd never heard of it. It looked similar to a flour tortilla, but it was more delicious. You could eat it alone if you wanted to. I did some research and found out that it is an Indian dish. It was so popular in Rwanda though, I think they've adopted it to be one of their own.

While in Rwanda I would walk quite a distance to the market to buy Chapati, which was sold 6 for about $1. It was great alone, but I decided I wanted to "take it up a notch". So I got together with two friends and we made a curry cabbage filling for the Chapati and called it a wrap. It was great.

I've been back in The Bahamas for a while now, but the taste of the Chapati is on my taste buds. I didn't have to make the Chapati in Rwanda because it was readily available already prepared everywhere. I decided I would take a stab at it and make Chapati at home and instead of a cabbage curry I made a chicken curry for the filling.

So here it goes:

Chapati Recipe

2 cups        All purpose flour
3/4 cup      Hot water
1 tsp          Salt
3 tsp          Olive Oil
8 tsp          Butter

In a bowl combine the flour, salt, hot water and olive oil with a wooden spoon. As it comes together begin kneading the dough with hands until smooth. Set aside. Flour a clean surface and divide dough in 8-10 pieces on the floured surface. Allow dough pieces to rest briefly. Set medium skillet on high heat. Allow pan to get extremely hot, almost to smoking point. While pan is heating, flour rolling pin and begin to roll out pieces very thinly. (See photo below.) Spoon 1 teaspoon of butter into hot skillet. Once butter has melted add 1 rolled dough to heat. Cook for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from heat and set aside. Repeat with 1 teaspoon of butter and then 1 rolled dough. Continue to repeat until 8-10 chapatis are completed. Set aside.

Curry Chicken Recipe

2 lg        Cooked Chicken Breast (shredded)
2 tbs       Curry Powder
1 tsp       Chili Powder
1/2 stick  Butter
2 cups     Shredded Cabbage
1 sm       Onion (chopped)
2 clove   Garlic (minced)
3 tbs       Flour
2 cups    Water
              Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large skillet melt butter. Once butter is melted reduce heat to medium and add chopped onions. Sweat onions for one minute and then add curry powder, chili powder and garlic. Mix ingredients together and then add water to mixture along with the cabbage. Cover and allow mixture to come to a boil. Season to taste. In a small bowl add 3 tablespoons of flour and 3 tablespoons of cold water. Mix with fork into a paste. Spoon 6 tablespoons of hot curry mixture (no cabbage) into paste. Make sure no lumps are in the mixture. (Spooning the hot curry liquid brings the paste to the temperature of the curry mixture before adding it the sauce to thicken it). Stir mixture into curry sauce to thicken it. Reduce heat and add cooked chicken. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning as needed. Serve hot with Chapati.

Chapati Rolled Thin


Cooking Chapati in Hot Skillet

Completed Chapati


Curry Chicken


Curry Chicken


Curry Chicken and Chapati

2 comments:

  1. You didn't say when to add salt. So I didn't add salt. Kendy

    ReplyDelete