Thursday, September 29, 2011

Potato Salad?

I spent a lovely afternoon on the beach today with two of my best friends. Salt water, in my opinion, makes you hungry, so I couldn't wait to get home to get dinner started. Keeping with the sea theme, whole fried fish was on the menu. I accompanied that with potato salad and mixed green salad. For dessert, banana donuts dusted with powdered sugar.

After dinner we always get together to watch our daily fix of local and international news. Then it's time for the food network. As I was watching "Sweet Genius" I started thinking about one of my visits to Africa, Rwanda to be exact, where I introduced potato salad to some of my friends. I couldn't believe that they had never heard of it. My friends would prepare French fries and boiled potatoes, but that's as far as their cooking with potatoes went. The thought of mayonnaise with boiled potatoes was foreign to them, but they would only eat fried potatoes with mayonnaise, no ketchup. So I proudly taught them Bahamian potato salad which has finely diced onions and bell peppers, chopped hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper, and of course boiled potatoes. For them I even added a diced cucumber. That gave it an additional cool crunch. It became a new phenomenon, but then they wanted me to cook it all the time. LOL!


Recipe:

4 medium    Potatoes
2                  Eggs
1/4 cup        Onion (finely diced)
1/4 cup        Red, Green, Yellow or Orange Bell Pepper (finely diced)
4 tbs            Mayonnaise
1 tsp            Mustard
                    Salt and Pepper to taste
                    Paprika

Wash, peel and dice potatoes. Add to pot along with eggs and fill with water until it covers potatoes and eggs. Set range on high under potatoes and allow potatoes to come to a boil. While potatoes and eggs are cooking dice onions and bell peppers. Set aside. Cook potatoes until tender. Check by cutting into potato with a fork. This takes about 10-15. Eggs usually boil in about 12 minutes. Immediately remove from heat, drain water and add potatoes into a bowl and place in freezer for approximately ten minutes allowing potatoes to cool. Put eggs in small bowl of cold water and put in freezer for ten minutes allowing eggs to cool and stop the cooking process. Once potatoes and eggs have cooled remove from freezer. Peel and slice eggs. Set aside. In a mixing bowl combine potatoes, onions, peppers, mayonnaise and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Adjust to taste. Remove from mixing bowl and add to serving bowl. Decorate the top with sliced boiled eggs. Dust with paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment